Friday, May 24, 2013

Going to Corwall and South-West England

Well... after six years of dreaming of going to Cornwall, it's finally coming true!






In 2008, while browsing through my Netflix account, I discovered a recommendation from Netflix for a British TV series called "Doc Martin" and after reading the intro, I was intrigued.  I watched the series premier on-line with "watch instantly" and immediately was hooked.  Doc Martin is practicing medicine in a rural community with limited resources and all the frustrations of a country practice.  I was in a similar situation myself and found myself relating to the story a lot.  The series is filmed in Port Isaac on location in Cornwall, only the village is called Port Wenn.  You see a picture of Port Isaac above.





Well... 5 seasons later (and owning all the DVD's which have been watched multiple times) and I feel like I have already been to Port Isaac.  The beauty of Cornwall is so amazing that I determined to go there some day.  After much planning and many doors opening and closing, it is finally coming together!




 Cornwall is a county in England that makes up the south-west tail jetting out towards North America.  It is sometimes referred to as the riviera of England due to it's beautiful coastlines.  It is a very popular destination for tourists, particularly after Doc Martin appeared on TV.  I do believe they will actually be filming the next season in Port Isaac while we are there!  That is kind of exciting since I'm such a fan!


My mom, grandma, Marlene, and I are traveling together.  We took a cruise to Alaska last year and had a good time together.  Above you see us in the formal dining room which was stylized after a Russian palace, complete with portraits of the Czar and family!

We will arrive in London at Heathrow Airport, pick up our rental car (which yours truly will be solely driving... with manual transmission... on the left side of the road), and head towards Bath where our journey begins.  A few days later we will check in to the condo in Camborne, Cornwall which will be home base for a week while we go on excursions to nearby sights.  After leaving Cornwall, we will head along the southern coast to take in Plymouth, Lyme-Regis, Portsmouth, Brighton, and more.  I'm excited about seeing places Jane Austen wrote about and lived in, including her final home before she died and her final resting place in Winchester Cathedral!

If all goes well, we can hopefully post pictures on this blog day by day... but we have yet to find out what the internet options will be.

Keep a weather eye on this blog!  The journey begins May 29 and ends June 11.

No comments: