Saturday, May 10, 2014

It's hard to believe but yes... I am going back to the UK this summer!  We had an amazing trip to Cornwall and southern England last summer which gave us many memories.  Still, I usually don't plan on going back to a place I've already been to as there is just too much of the world left to see!  I had to make an exception this year because a number of months ago, my mom's brother, Wes, announced that he and his girlfriend, Jackie were getting married.  If you read any of the blog from last summer you know that we met Jackie in her home town of High Wycome (just west of London) on our first day of our Cornwall trip.
 Their wedding will take place in this same town on May 24.  What a fantastic reason to pay another visit to the UK!

This year, I wanted to see some new places; so we have set our sights set on Derbyshire, Yorkshire, the Lake District, and Norfolk... and we're going to get that all in over the course of 15 days!  Yes, we are a little crazy; but who knows when we'll have the chance to go back and these places I definitely want to see.

Derbyshire I have heard about through... guess who... Jane Austen in her book "Pride and Prejudice."  We do plan to visit the lovely estate where the scenes from the A&E film taking place at Pemberley were shot.
 Yorkshire is not far away and has some of the most beautiful landscapes in Britain (though Cornwall will be hard to beat!).  I'm a big fan of the film "Calendar Girls" which was filmed on location in Yorkshire.
It definitely looks as beautiful in the film as it claims to be!  The Lake District is a place I have heard about and wanted to see.  There are so many beautiful lakes and countryside there.  Beatrix Potter spent her summers there and was a great inspiration to her work.
 Norfolk is an area of Britain featured in the series "Kingdom" which I love and was so sad to see discontinued.
 The many gorgeous areal shots of this part of the country have made me really want to visit and we were barely able to squeeze it in!

My mom and I are going by ourselves this year.  Hopefully we'll be able to afford to put her on the car rental so I won't have to do all the driving this year!

I'll keep you posted as we go along... much like last year!

No comments: